International Master Course in Geosciences & Georesources
|Link to italian version|
|||University of Basilicata, Potenza, Italy|
MSc Degree in Geosciences and Georesources
CALL FOR APPLICANTS 2017-2018
Basilicata in southern Italy represents a very special places for studying Geology. Its landscapes, rock outcrops and modern geological systems offer an unique opportunity to learn natural processes and to discover skills and passions on geological phenomena.
The MSc Course in Geosciences and Georesources in Potenza reflects these aspects. It particularly focuses on the study of georesources, including water, sediments, oil and gas, minerals, etc., their exploitation and safeguard from excessive exploitation.
Studies in Potenza also provide sound and broadly based scientific training. Students are educated in the skills required for the recognition of rock materials and geological phenomena, as well as applying theory and advanced techniques in the fields of various sub-disciplines, such as Stratigraphy & Sedimentology, Structural Geology, Geochemistry, Geomorphology, Hydrogeology, Palaeontology, Geophysical prospecting, among many other disciplines.
|The Department of Sciences has an international reputation, laboratories and computing facilities. Students, teachers and visitors work synergistically together. Offices and teaching labs are close together but with plenty of shared open space, so students will become part of a animated scientific community. This creates a productive atmosphere in which a student can not only learn the basics, but also get some feel for the discoveries emerging from current research activity. Last but not least, Basilicata hosts the European Capital of Culture 2019: Matera.|
This beautiful city attracts visitors from all over the world to discover the history and the cultural diversity of this corner of the Mediterranean. This opportunity, as well as many others, represents strengths for the Basilicata and students will benefit of a stimulating and intriguing atmosphere.
SPECIFIC LEARNING OUTCOMES
The Master of Science in Geosciences and Georesources has a standard duration of two years, corresponding to the achievement of 120 university credits (ECTS), and aims to form Graduates are able to:
a) analyse and use data for the reconstruction of geological surface and subsurface models, including the definition of the geometric, chemical and physical properties of the geobodies;
b) evaluate the exploration, exploitation and sustainable use of Earth’s (geo)resources;
c) carry out processing of geochemical and geophysical data to obtain useful information for geological and environmental analysis;
d) use and analyse remote-sensing data to interpret geo-morphological scenarios;
e) approach the study of geo-environmental issues related to land use and exploitation of Earth’s resources at the different stages: from early assessment to the management, to monitoring and mitigation;
f) asses geo-environmental risks;
g) use correctly English in its written and oral form, with specific reference to technical terminologies.
The course is primarily intended to provide a solid geological background but, at the same time, to offer formation in multidisciplinary expertise (chemical, physical, and natural /environmental). Tuned with the present-day merchandise requests, the course is also intended to furnish good practice and knowledge on the most modern technologies widely used in geological modelling and analysis of environmental matrices. Graduate MSc Geologists will be able to work professionally and competently in collaboration with experts from different professional backgrounds, thanks to an interdisciplinary cultural approach.
HOW TO APPLY
A pre-registration will be open by June 30th, 2017 to September 23rd, 2017;
all the applications will be evaluated by September 27th, 2017.
The maximum number of positions is 15, including 5positions reserved to foreigner applicants (EU and extra) (art.2 Law 264/1999).
Applications to the Master of Science in Geosciences and Georesources (curriculum in Environmental Geology), are open to graduates of the Class of Degree in Geology, as well as other Science graduates, Engineering and similar, or to graduates which have achieved another qualification obtained abroad and recognized as valid.
ALL THE POTENTIAL CANDIDATES MUST CONTACT THE COURSE REFERENCE PERSONS BY E-MAIL OR PHONE (see addresses at the end of this page), WITH A PRESENTATION LETTER INDICATING THE INTENTION TO PRE-REGISTER TO THE COURSE. CANDIDATES WILL BE PROMPTLY CONTACTED BACK WITH A REPLY MESSAGE, COMPRISING ALL THE DETAILED INDICATIONS ON HOW TO PROCEED TO FINALIZE THE REGISTRATION PRIOR THE OFFICIAL OPENING OF JUNE 30TH.
MEANWHILE, FOREIGNER APPLICANTS MUST ALSO CONTACT THEIR ITALIAN EMBASSY IN ADVANCE, IN ORDER TO OBTAIN THE PERMISSION TO PROCEED WITH THE SUBMISSION OF THE APPLICATION
Admission to the courses is conditional on the syllabus requirements and an adequate personal preparation in accordance (art. 6, 2 of the Ministerial Decree 270/04). The curricular requirements are considered fully satisfied for those who have previously obtained a degree in Geological Sciences (Class L-34; ex DM 270/04), or in Earth Sciences (Class 16; ex DM 509/99) at the University of Basilicata. In addition, admission is guaranteed to 1st-level graduates with the BSc obtained during the last three years, or other equivalent qualifications (with a score not less than 95/110). A fundamental pre-requisite is the achievement of a number of ECTSU at least equal to the minimum number of credits included in the Degree in Geological Sciences (Class L-34).
Foreign students will benefit of a reduction of the 90% of ECTS.
The final selection of the applicant candidates will be provided by a Management Committee, which will evaluate curricula, based on the reliability of the submitted document material (Article 4.4 of the UNIBAS-KAZNITU Agreement). The Management Committee will publish an evaluation list, based on the descending order of total rating obtained by each candidate. Once admitted, each candidate will be evaluated from the Management Committee through an interview at the University of Basilicata or in a web meeting. At the end of the interviews, the applying candidates who will have obtained a positive response will be accepted to finalize their acceptance in the Master of Science Geosciences and Georesources.
The mandatory documents to apply are the followings:
- A presentation letter (max. A4 page);
- A curriculum vitae;
- A copy of the degree certificate;
- A letter of recommendation signed by an academic person (not mandatory);
- Transcript of Records and Diploma Supplement, if applicable;
- A copy of the passport or any EU valid identification document;
- A certificate or other diploma proving basic language skills.
Applicants must submit an original and recent certificate, issued by an authorized organization, stating the knowledge of English at an intermediate level (level B1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages - CEFR).
All documents must be submitted in English, as well as the copy of the degree certificate.
A financial support is offered via various scholarships and grants to pursue diversified academic levels. To be eligible for a scholarship and subsequent renewal, scholarship recipients must maintain a high level of exam evaluation, according to the guidelines of the ARDSU (Azienda Regionale Diritto allo Studio Universitario) Office (http://www.ardsubasilicata.it).
The teaching activity spans on two semesters ( http://scienze.unibas.it/site/home/didattica/offerta didattica )
The 1st semester courses begin October 3rd 2017 and end between January 15th and 31st 2018
The 2nd semester courses start March 6th, 2018 and end between June 15th and 30th 2018
Master of Sciences in Geosciences and Georesources
The MSc Course in Geosciences and Georesources (LM-74) is the result of an international agreement between the University of Basilicata, Potenza, Italy and the Kazakh National Research Technical University (KAZNITU), Almaty, Kazakistan. The course include the following classes:
|DIS0087||6||ADVANCED FIELD GEOLOGY||GEO/03||Giacomo PROSSER||II||1|
|DIS0111||6||APPLIED AND ENVIRONMENTAL MINERALOGY||GEO/09||Vito SUMMA||II||1|
|DIS0082||6||APPLIED STRATIGRAPHY AND SEDIMENTOLOGY||GEO/02||Sergio G. LONGHITANO||I||1|
|DIS0083||6||APPLIED STRUCTURAL GEOLOGY||GEO/03||Fabrizio AGOSTA||I||1|
|DIS0081||6||CHEMISTRY OF HYDROCARBONS||CHIM/06||Maurizio D'AURIA||I||1|
|DIS0088||6||ENVIRONMENTAL AND ECONOMIC PETROGRAPHY||GEO/07||Giovanna RIZZO||II||1|
|DIS0086||6||ENVIRONMENTAL GEOCHEMISTRY||GEO/08||Michele PATERNOSTER||II||1|
|DIS0089||6||ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT OF PETROLEUM EXPLOITATION||GEO/02||Albina COLELLA||II||1|
|DIS0084||6||GEOPHYSICAL PROSPECTING||GEO/11||Enzo RIZZO||I||1|
|DIS0039||6||ENVIRONMENTAL AND APPLIED GEOLOGY||GEO/04||Mario BENTIVENGA||I||2|
|DIS0112||6||REMOTE SENSING FOR THE ENVIRONMENT||GEO/11||Nicola PERGOLA||II||1|
TEACHER FROM THE
UNIVERSITY OF KAZAKISTAN
|DIS0085||6||SOIL CHEMISTRY||AGR/13||Sabino Aurelio BUFO||I||1|
ERASMUS + OPPORTUNITIES
Our courses provide opportunities for students to spend a several-months-long stay abroad in a number of foreigner universities through the Erasmus Plus project. Our department has signed agreements with the following academies where it is possible to visit courses, laboratories etc.: Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Spain), the Aix Université, Marseil (France), the University of Stavanger (Norway) and the Potsdam Universität (Germany).
For further information, to know details on the course calendars, content of the courses, careers etc. or to pre-register to the courses, please contact the following reference persons:
- Course Email: email@example.com
- Prof. Giovanni Mongelli (MSc Degree in Geosciences and Georesources Course Coordinator): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Michele Paternoster (Vice-coordinator): email@example.com
- Dr. Sergio G. Longhitano (Orientation responsible): firstname.lastname@example.org
- The official WEB site of the Basilicata University: www.unibas.it
- General info for Incoming Students: http://www.international.unibas.it/ects/ index.php/part-3-general-information- for-students/74-practical-information- for-mobile-students
- Housing and contact details: International Relations Unit e-mail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: +39 0971 202158/202191; http://www.international.unibas.it/e cts/index.php/part-3-general- information-for-students/61- accommodation
- Visa information and contact details: International Relations office e-mail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; http://www.international.unibas.it/ects/ index.php/part-3-general-information- for-students/74-practical-information- for-mobile-students
- Insurance Information and contact details: http://www.international.unibas.it/e cts/index.php/part-3-general- information-for-students/23-medical- facilities-health-insurance
- ECTS Users’ Guide: http://www.international.unibas.it/ects/index.php/en/part-1/20-ects-at-a-glance
- International relationships and agreements: http://internazionale.unibas.it/site/home.html
- How to study at the Basilicata University: http://internazionale.unibas.it/site/home/ects-guide/articolo9502742.html
- The Italian university system: http://internazionale.unibas.it/site/home/ects-guide/study-at-unibas/the-italian-university-system.html
- Financial supports for disadvantaged students: http://internazionale.unibas.it/site/home/ects-guide/study-at-unibas/scholarships-and-prize.html
- Need some help from the Basilicata's Geology Students? Click here and contact somebody from GeoBas, a no-profit Geology student association: http://www.geobas.org/AssociazioneGeobas/
- The official MIUR WEB site - the Italian Minister of the University and Research: http://www.universitaly.it/index.php/